The IYS 2015 aims to increase awareness and understanding of the importance of soil for food security and essential ecosystem functions.
The specific objectives of the IYS 2015 are to:
- Raise full awareness among civil society and decision makers about the profound importance of soil for human life.
- Educate the public about the crucial role soil plays in food security, climate change adaptation and mitigation, essential ecosystem services, poverty alleviation and sustainable development.
- Support effective policies and actions for the sustainable management and protection of soil resources.
- Promote investment in sustainable soil management activities to develop and maintain healthy soils for different land users and population groups.
- Strengthen initiatives in connection with the SDG process (Sustainable Development Goals) and Post-2015 agenda.
- Advocate for rapid capacity enhancement for soil information collection and monitoring at all levels (global, regional and national).
Click the link for the IYS website – http://www.fao.org/soils-2015/about/en/